Dance Movement Therapy is psycho-therapeutic use of movement and dance for emotional, cognitive, social, behavioural and physical conditions (www.adta.org, 2008). It is a form of expressive (creative arts) therapy.
Dance Movement Therapist IDTAA – Professional Member of DTAA – Reg.No. 218-19
Fully Certified Practitioner of Functional Analysis
Soulful presence counsellor – Kairos Centre
Creator of Embodied Bellydance®
Heart Centred, Psycho-Physical Massage
Member of the Sacred Dance Guild
I began to work with dance therapeutically many years before I became a qualified Dance Movement Therapist, although at the time I could not name the process the way that I can now. This is the gift that my training has giving me. As I reflect on what I did before I was trained I feel that it was good work, I feel when ones heart is in the right place you can not go wrong. Never the less I feel that Dance Movement Therapy need to be taken seriously as a fundamental therapeutic tool. As we move further into new millennium there is scientific research based evidence that DMT is be no mean a complementary therapy but in fact a primary therapy. I have an Advanced Diploma in Dance Movement Therapy with the IDTIA (International Dance Therapy Institute of Australia).
For a number of years I have been employed by various human services organisation and private clients as a Dance Movement Therapist.
My work has been and is with:
- Homeless adults mostly woman suffering from Mental disorders and Hear Voices Prague House, Kew, Victoria Australia (6 years)
- Four populations of adults with physical & intellectual disabilities. Sussex Neighborhood House, Coburg (2 years) and David House Yarraville, (4 years) Carynia Centre Coburg (2 years) Beautiful Babes program, Altona, Vic. Australia.
- Teenager with Mild intellectual disabilities, Hume Valley school, Broardmeadows Vic. Australia (2 years)
- Children and Teenagers who are severely physically and intellectually impaired, Yoralla,
- Women in Prison, for Somebodies Daughter Theatre company, Dame Philis Frost Prison, Deer Park, Vic. Australia ( 2 months)
- Individual session in my studio with 2 adults with Physical and intellectual disabilities, Ivanhoe, Vic Australia for 2 years.
- Physically and Intellectually disable adults, Villa Maria, kew Victoria
- Physically and Intellectually disable adults, Ostra,Marche, Italia
I have been primarily employed with the Physically and Intellectually Impaired of all ages. I thoroughly enjoy dancing and moving with this population. This population gives me great joy, they respond extremely well to Movement and Dance.
In this work I often incorporate my Middle Eastern dance skills.
In 2011 I included Lloyd Smith a very talented exceptional young man who is blind and 5 members of a very special group of adults called Sussex Creative Dance and Movement group in my production called Heart Curve.